Friday, June 24, 2011

Art Gallery

A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?

Niki de Saint Phalle, Nana 1965, mixed media.

This piece of art made an impact on me because I had never seen anything like it before.  It has many different images on it, almost like a collage.  It was very interesting and everyone that walked by it had to take a closer look.










Marisol, Baby Doll, 1963, wood and mixed media.
I found this piece very interesting because the baby is so large and what appears to be the mother is so tiny in comparison.  That is showing, at least to me, that the child is much more important than the caregiver.


















Wayne Thiebaud, Yo-Yos, 1963, oil on canvas.
This painting used to hang up in the art room of my elementary school.  Everytime I see it anywhere else I always go back to that art class.  It made a positive impression of childhood fun on me then, and I still think of it now.














B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?
 Joan Miro, The Sun Eater, 1955, lithograph edition 11/50.
I feel a connection with this because I am going to school to become a teacher, and I am a camp counselor and this reminds me of something some of the campers would paint.











 Byron Kim, Commission for Synecdoche, 2008, oil and wax on wood.
I enjoy this piece because it reminds me of foundation colors.  The little squares are all human skin tones, and it looks like you are matching yourself to your make-up.
Roy Lichtenstein, Head- Red and Yellow, 1962, oil on canvas.
This is a piece done by my favorite artist, and it is crazy to think that this is a painting.  Although it is cartoon-ish it is so clean and accurate.

 













C.) Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?

Joan Miro, Women and Birds in the Night, 1945, oil on canvas.
I find this painting very interesting and would like to know more about it.  I find in interesting that there are bery thin lines along with filled in objects, which don't seem like they would be used in the same piece of work but they work together.
 Tom Wesselmann, Still Life #20, 1962, mixed media.
I find this very interesting, and I would like to see the other still life works of art in this collection.  It seems like they would be fun pieces.

John Storrs, Abstract Figure, 1932, bronze.

I would like to see some of Storrs' other pieces because this one is very interesting.  It looks like some type of animal eating another, but every time I look at it I think of something else.  That is very rare for a piece of art to do that.

2 comments:

  1. I also used Still Life #20 in my post. Interesting artworks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i thought the baby doll piece was very interesting and the fact that it appears the mom is way smaller than the baby i thought it cool

    ReplyDelete